Degrémont, the water treatment plant specialist within SUEZ ENVIRONNEMENT, chose the printing solutions of Lexmark International, Inc. (NYSE: LXK) to optimize its print output management.
The lack of standardized printing equipment, combined with a stock of consumables spread across all of the company's departments, made the printing costs difficult to manage. Outsourcing the printing services to a sole supplier who can manage the infrastructure, as well as the implemented solutions, turned out to be the solution to significantly reduce the printing costs.
Degrémont had a number of issues to deal with – it wanted to implement a homogeneous printing solution across the enterprise, which addresses the individual needs of each department, enables confidential printing and reduces the waste associated with output. With the current contract about to terminate, three departments of Degrémont - facility management, IT and purchasing – worked together on a request for quotation.
"Lexmark's 'Print Less, Save More' approach resonated well at Degrémont because it met our financial expectations and our commitment to use environmentally friendly solutions," explains Philippe Jacq, service delivery manager in the IT department of Degrémont. "We had some technical concerns in the beginning, but today I have to admit that our IT infrastructure is a lot easier to manage. Lexmark has met the needs of each department, and I am very pleased with the result. I wish we had done it sooner."
THE OBJECTIVES ARE ALREADY ACHIEVED AFTER ONLY SIX MONTHS
Lexmark met all the criteria in Degrémont's list of requirements by demonstrating its capacity to implement and manage a unique service offering tailored to the company's needs. The objectives defined at the beginning of the project were achieved within six months after entering into the partnership with Lexmark.
- The devices were consolidated and distributed wisely: the number of printers and MFPs was reduced by 80 percent. There is now one device for 11 people instead of one device for two people.
- The objective of reducing the number of pages by 20 percent over four years was achieved in just six months. With Lexmark's solutions, the number of pages printed will decrease significantly over a period of one year, meaning a savings of 3,480 reams or 8,700 kilos of paper for the company.
- The amount of consumables has been considerably reduced and should go from an annual consumption of 1,600 toner cartridges to 500. The annual reduction is estimated to reach almost 70 percent.
- The environmental impact of office printing has been reduced thanks to the implementation of Lexmark’s Print Release solution and additional functionalities such as standard duplex printing, which reduces the amount of scrap paper. In six months, the paper consumption has been reduced while offering better quality service to the users.
- The implemented solutions also helped improve the business processes. IT management is more flexible and the technical concerns at the beginning of the project have been replaced by real satisfaction. The number of calls to the IT Help Desk has diminished.
- The secure printing solution meets the needs of Degrémont for secure printing, while providing a homogenous solution that reduces the amount of wasted printing. Today, no document is left on the devices, ending a potential leak of sensitive information. Each day, the forgotten print jobs are automatically purged on the server.
Lexmark's ability to understand Degrémont's needs contributed to the success of the project. Over a period of five months, an audit was carried out to identify the needs of each department and determine how to best meet their expectations: fewer printer models, improved color printing management, innovative badge printing solution, and printing support for all media types. Besides, Lexmark’s capability to deliver continuous improvement enables Degrémont to reduce its printing costs without jeopardizing the company's productivity.
"Lexmark assists many companies around the world to optimize their printing infrastructures," says Marty Canning, Lexmark vice president and president of its Printing Solutions and Services Division. "Lexmark's approach of ‘Print Less, Save More’ is well received by large, international organizations that want to reduce paper waste, improve the efficiency of their document processes and reduce costs."
A key to the success of the project is Lexmark Training, Change Management Services and ongoing communication. Degrémont implemented an internal communication and information campaign using the Lexmark Change Management and Communication program ‘papereduce’ to help employees change their printing behaviors. The IT manager heading the project has since received very positive feedback from the users and the top management.
"The success of this project is not only the result of the teams’ efforts internally. Several departments worked hand in hand. Lexmark was an excellent team mate throughout the process. This partnership has gotten off to an excellent start," adds Dominique Corre, deputy manager of facility management at Degrémont.
Within SUEZ ENVIRONNEMENT, Degrémont is the water treatment plant specialist. Present in over 70 countries, with nearly 4,600 employees, Degrémont reported a revenue of €1,014 million in 2008.
Lexmark International, Inc. (NYSE: LXK) provides businesses of all sizes with a broad range of printing and imaging products, solutions and services that help them to be more productive. In 2009, Lexmark sold products in more than 150 countries and reported approximately $4.0 billion in revenue. Learn how Lexmark can help you get more done at www.lexmark.com.
Lexmark and Lexmark with diamond design are trademarks of Lexmark International, Inc., registered in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.