Piedmont Healthcare Expanding its Perceptive Software Solutions with Vendor Neutral Archive for Enterprise Medical Image Management
Perceptive Acuo Vendor Neutral Archive selected to improve interoperability of existing imaging systems and provide better control of clinical data across regional hospitals and clinics for workflow and image sharing
Sep 3, 2014
- Lexmark’s Perceptive Software announces that Atlanta, Georgia-based Piedmont Healthcare will deploy Perceptive Acuo Vendor Neutral Archive to consolidate medical image management for radiologists, cardiologists and other clinical users across all hospital and clinic locations.
- Perceptive Acuo Vendor Neutral Archive was selected to serve as the core technology platform for managing nearly one million diagnostic imaging studies performed annually across Piedmont facilities. Perceptive Software will also assist Piedmont in migrating approximately six million existing studies, stored primarily in radiology and cardiology picture archiving and communication systems (PACS), into the new enterprise vendor neutral archive (VNA).
- Piedmont Healthcare sought an independent VNA platform to streamline management of medical images stored in separate clinical data silos, making it easier to share images across facilities and with referring physicians. They were also looking to reduce costs and complexity associated with moving clinical content from departmental archives to the point of care.
- Perceptive Acuo Vendor Neutral Archive is an application, storage and viewer-neutral clinical content management platform that drives better care delivery through a patient-centric approach to enterprise interoperability. It improves clinical workflow and archiving capabilities for healthcare organizations, enabling all clinical content (DICOM and non-DICOM) to be easily shared across the enterprise and providing greater freedom and flexibility in implementing departmental systems that best meet patient care, clinical quality and business process needs. Perceptive Acuo Vendor Neutral Archive also strengthens business continuance and disaster recovery capabilities with VNA software running in primary and secondary data centers.
- Perceptive Acuo Vendor Neutral Archive stores medical imaging data in a standard format, providing interoperability among server and storage infrastructure, department viewing and workflow applications. This standard formatting also eliminates the need to migrate data whenever a PACS is replaced or when new facilities are integrated with the Piedmont healthcare network.
- Piedmont currently utilizes Perceptive Software for Enterprise Content Management throughout the health system’s five hospitals to bring key patient content such as scanned insurance cards, photographs, physician notes, etc., directly into Piedmont’s Epic Electronic Medical Record system. Piedmont Healthcare also uses Perceptive Intelligent Capture in accounts payable, while Perceptive Software back office solutions are used in human resources and materials management. These solutions integrate with the health system’s PeopleSoft application.
- Piedmont Healthcare is also a Lexmark Managed Print Services customer, which enables the healthcare system to standardize and optimize its output environment through additional workflow solutions for improved employee productivity, patient care support and printing cost reduction.
- “The Perceptive Acuo Vendor Neutral Archive was selected to initially work with Piedmont Healthcare’s radiology and cardiology systems to improve clinical workflow and image sharing with physicians and other clinical staff,” said Rob Lipowski, director of healthcare solutions, Perceptive Software. “Their ultimate goal is for the VNA to become the platform for all unstructured content sitting outside the EMR, enabling improved patient care by providing a more complete patient record for more informed medical decisions.”
- "Implementation of a truly independent VNA platform is key to Piedmont’s strategy for enabling a patient-centric approach to care delivery,” said Jeff Timbrook, global vice president healthcare, Perceptive Software. “The Perceptive VNA will not only give Piedmont more control over medical images and other unstructured clinical content, but also make it easier and less costly to get patient information to physicians at the point of care, regardless of where the data resides. Piedmont’s approach to managing enterprise clinical content positions them as a healthcare technology leader serving Atlanta and surrounding communities."
- InContext: “Driving data liquidity: VNA and ECM combine”
- White paper: “The Case for VNA”
- Perceptive Software on Twitter
- Healthcare at Perceptive Software on LinkedIn
About Perceptive Software
Lexmark's Perceptive Software (NYSE: LXK) builds intelligent capture, content management, process management, enterprise search and integration products that connect unstructured printed and digital information across enterprises with the processes, applications and people that need it most.
About Piedmont Healthcare
For more than a century, Piedmont Healthcare has been a recognized leader in delivering expert care. Last year, Piedmont served nearly two million patients - performing over 44,000 surgeries, delivering 8,000 babies, providing 471,695 outpatient encounters, completing 235 organ transplants and handling nearly 250,000 emergency room visits. Piedmont builds long-term patient relationships and strong connections within the communities it serves. What started as a single hospital a century ago has grown into an integrated healthcare system of five hospitals and close to 100 physician and specialist offices across greater Atlanta and North Georgia.